For those who don’t know about Bonnaroo it is a four day camping festival held on a 700 acre farm in Manchester, TN. Bonnarro brings an array of rock n roll artists along with jazz, Americana, hip-hop, electronica, & contemporary artists. There is 100 acres dedicated to entertainment, attractions & activities including a classic arcade, on-site cinema, comedy club, theater performers, a beer festival, a music technology village, & a silent disco.
What is a silent disco? You slide into a pair of Koss Stereophones and party the night away. Live DJs spin late into the warm Bonnaroo nights, keeping it quiet for the tired and the volume turned up for all you night owls.
Did I mention this event is a Green Festival? How Green you may ask, well last year 60% of all Bonnaroo ’07’s waste was recycled. That is amazing! What’s even more amazing is the solar panels to power the festival. After this year’s festival there will be a permanent electrical system hooking up the festival into Tennessee’s power grid. The majority of the grid is powered by coal. Solar panels would not only drastically reduce the Festival’s consumption of coal-generated electricity, but would also provide green power back to the grid year round. If Bonnaroo undertakes this exciting project it will be the first Festival in the country to do so.
If you are planning to set up camp don’t forget the Pre-Roo – Packing/Travel-Tips:
* Carpool. The less stuff you stack, the more people you can pack!
* Buy water in bulk and bring reusable bottles.
* Buy food in bulk. Avoid bringing food that spoils easily and/or is individually wrapped.
* Think reusable before you buy disposable!
* Bring bags for garbage AND recycling.
* Remember – this is a NO GLASS event!
* Avoid Styrofoam coolers.
* Smokers – bring an ashtray! Every cigarette butt you throw on the ground, we have to pick up!!!!
* Consider borrowing camping equipment before buying new (tent, cooler, tarp, grill, etc.).
* If you have to buy new, then reuse or recycle the box before you arrive on site. Applicable to all new gear.
* Avoid bringing unnecessary items that become pesky waste (sequins, silly string, confetti, balloons, packing peanuts, etc.).