Journey: Arnel Pineda’s Rolling Stone Interview Highlights

I don’t really read Rolling Stone anymore. I find it is full of mostly outdated information and too much politics, but today on the front page of Rollingstone.com there is an interview with Arnel Pineda, the new lead singer for Journey. It’s titled, “Sad ‘Journey’ for New Singer”. It talks about how Arnel isn’t really finding life on tour very glamorous and he misses his family (who could blame him). Could another reason why he’s not as happy as he thought he’d be while touring with Journey be because he if trying to fill some big shoes? From the interview it appears that he was hesitant to take the roll as the new lead singer in the first place. Maybe he knew his new roll in the band would be criticized.

Replacing a lead singer that made a band is one hell of a task that not many have been successful at doing. The band that was most successful doing so, in my opinion, is Van Halen with Sammy Hagar. To this day the fans are still split between the David Lee Roth Era and the Sammy Era. It’s expected. Back to Journey, we didn’t give Journey a glowing review, but it wasn’t anything personal with Arnel. I am sure he expected the backlash when he took the job.

Fans are commenting and criticizing the author of the Rolling Stone interview, Andy Greene, for editing the interview and making Arnel sound unhappy. I wonder if Andy Greene realized what he was getting into when he interviewed Arnel. His fans are insanely loyal and any criticism whether it be constructive or not is not acceptable. I am surprised they haven’t started calling him a racist. If you think I am joking and exaggerating check out the comments from our San Diego review of Journey this past summer.

On that note, if I were Arnel I would be very comforted by the fact his fans are “hard-core” and loyal. He has his own personal army in waiting. They also are creating press for Journey too. I wouldn’t be writing this if it weren’t for Arnel’s fans slandering me via emails, message boards, and comments in the San Diego Review.

Comments

1. TIM PUCKETT says:

I think ARNEL is a real credit to singing journey hits.And i dont think the band could have picked a better leadsinger.Great job journey your back rock on.

2. Neal was desparate says:

Whether he’s truly unhappy or not, he still sucks. They could have done much better than some foreign bar singer. A band like Journey needs an established and polished singer. Not this clown. Most of the good comments about AP come from Journey’s new filipino fan base. It really shows Neal Schon’s desparation that he searched youtube for a singer. It’s sad to see Journey fall so far. Even Steve Smith (arguably the greatest drummer on the planet) agrees that Journey isn’t Journey without Steve Perry and that’s why he quit. Yeah, Perry won’t be back but not because he can’t sing. People need to get that out of their head! Him and Neal don’t get along and he wants nothing to do with him so the Journey is over for him. As far as Arnel, he’s the worst they’ve had and still can’t believe they actually liked this guy. He has a good stage presence but doesn’t have the voice. It’s just something about the way he sings that doesn’t sound right and i’m pretty sure it’s because he’s filipino.

3. filam says:

I’m not what this guy above is talking about but, I’m pretty sure he is racist/ignorant, uninformed or whatever the hell you want to call it. What? Arnel didn’t have the voice….when in fact…he has way, way better voice that Perry was….Perry does not sound bad…but, his voice was girlish..and Arnel has that manly voice and can even emulate other voices as well…so piss off okay? (Guy who posted this comment on Feb. 13 at 6.25…You’re a racist/ignorant…Opened your eyes and your brain…America has Obama as president now…and it’s 2009..get it…

4. filam says:

Ooops! I missed the word “sure” at the beginning of my sentence…

5. islandgirl says:

Unpolished? This new guy has been singing professionally for 25 years. Furthermore, Steve Perry was in construction before singing with Journey. And Steve Augeri, I believe, was working for Gap. So what do you mean unpolished?
    Get your ears checked, buddy.

6. RealityCheck says:

For message number 2, obviously a racist. Most probably hasn’t watched Arnel sing live. The the writer of message number 2, is a looser. He doesn’t like anyone, maybe not even himself. He enjoys seeing himself against everybody. Most probably something wrong with his ear or doesn’t really like Journey even then. I don’t think he knows most Journey concert venues with Arnel are sold out.

7. Tim Norton says:

the user named “Neal was desparate” FYI people is actually a gay who tried wooing a Filipino hottie and got busted and dumped real good. Dude, if you’re reading this, move on man… There’s actually life after being dumped by a FLIP…

As for Arnel, dude, you ROCK!!! Kudos to you! LONG LIVE JOURNEY!!!!

8. race. says:

whatever we are.. we just can’t ignore the fact that all people is different.. but what we cannot get rid of most is when we criticize someone for who they are.. sure he’s a filipino.. so what.. there’s black people there… mexicans.. americans… whats wrong with him being a singer?

Thats not my point either.. my point is, people should start to realize that whatever you are.. your still human.. the only difference is your personality… nothing else.. color, race, whatever you are..

9. Joe V says:

This guy’s voice is awesome. I can’t wait to see a concert. Who cares where he’s from. Steve perry was of some eastern european decent but who cared about that!!! This guy has a voice very few are born with.

10. rick says:

wow,,i just happened onto this site and read above article,,what a bunch of crap,,,,for one thing,,,reference to a band choosing another singer and hitting the mark,, was ac/dc..and now arnel with journey,,, you cant get any closer then those two bands for replacements,,,,im a die hard journey fan,,,,and i say,, if we cant have steve perry there,, ill take arnel ,,,,what a wonderfull voice,,,if i was steve perry,, which im not,, id be proud to have someone out there emulating me,,,as far as the 2 voices go,,,, steve perry will always be the man,, but arnel comes in 2nd too him,,, rock on all of you,,,,peace

11. noel morales says:

i commended arnel for being honest..journey members loved arnel very much and treated as younger brother….anyway thanks for featuring arnel in your prestigous magazine..it will be highly appreciated..you’re just doing your job

12. joann says:

“Knellsky” or Arnel is the man…rock on dude!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2011 tour is getting near…can’t wait any longer!!!!

13. JW says:

I’m watching Arnel in the Manilla video now and have been giving him an honest chance.

I really don’t feel Arnel is as good as Steve Augeri was and certainly nowhere near Steve Perry. His performances look forced and his vocal style seems more like a Steve Perry impersonator. That may not be his fault though. It seems Neil Schon keeps trying to get Steve Perry imitators to front the band so it’s bound to turn off the Perry fans. If Journey really wants to change direction then they need to reinvent themselves much like Genesis did when Peter Gabriel left.

14. Matt says:

I truly agree to the quoted comment below. You people need to quit the race card playing. That stuff gets old and tired in our overly politically correct society. I think perhaps because the Filipino accent comes through on his singing of English words. I also agree that his performances look forced and his vocal style just seems more like a Steve Perry impersonator. I dont think Arnel is even close to Steve Perry. I even enjoy the lead singer of the tribute band, Journey Unauthorized better than this guy. Journey WILL NEVER BE THE SAME WITHOUT the “two Steves”, Steve Perry and Steve Smith (one of my favorite drummers of all time).

“Whether he’s truly unhappy or not, he still sucks. They could have done much better than some foreign bar singer. A band like Journey needs an established and polished singer. Not this clown. Most of the good comments about AP come from Journey’s new filipino fan base. It really shows Neal Schon’s desparation that he searched youtube for a singer. It’s sad to see Journey fall so far. Even Steve Smith (arguably the greatest drummer on the planet) agrees that Journey isn’t Journey without Steve Perry and that’s why he quit. Yeah, Perry won’t be back but not because he can’t sing. People need to get that out of their head! Him and Neal don’t get along and he wants nothing to do with him so the Journey is over for him. As far as Arnel, he’s the worst they’ve had and still can’t believe they actually liked this guy. He has a good stage presence but doesn’t have the voice. It’s just something about the way he sings that doesn’t sound right and i’m pretty sure it’s because he’s filipino”

15. frank says:

Arnel is da man! Steve Perry wasn’t that good!