After being arrested for allegedly assaulting, girlfriend, Rhianna in the early-morning hours before the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, Chris Brown has finally broken his silence and issued a statement that says, “Words cannot begin to express how sorry and saddened I am over what transpired.” Without ever mentioning Rihanna by name, or the exact nature of “what transpired,” the singer says he has been seeking counseling from his pastor, mother and loved ones. “I am committed, with God’s help, to emerging a better person,” he says.
Suposedly Brown’s short statement was issued with the help of a public relations company that specializes in crisis management. It’s the first official words released by either singer’s camp regarding the incident; on Sunday, February 8th, Rihanna’s rep issued the brief “Rihanna is well. Thank you for concern and support” but has said nothing publicly since then. Relatives of the two stars have given interviews to the press; both Rihanna’s and Brown’s fathers have spoken to People. “At some point, she will speak out,” Ronald Fenty told People.com of Rihanna. “I hope she will stand up for women all over the world.” Clinton Brown described his son as “remorseful” and “concerned” in his interview.
In the absence of official statements from Brown, Rihanna and the Los Angeles Police Department, rumors and speculation over the alleged dispute that left Rhianna with “horrific” facial injuries and bite marks on her arms and hands. Brown addressed that in his statement, adding, “Much of what has been speculated or reported on blogs and/or reported in the media is wrong. While I would like to be able to talk about this more, until the legal issues are resolved, this is all I can say except that I have not written any messages or made any posts to Facebook, on blogs or any place else. Those posts or writings under my name are frauds.”