Taylor Hicks’ Soul Patrol Hits the Belly Up Tavern

Taylor Hicks
The Belly Up Tavern – Solana Beach, CA
03/05/2009

taylorhicksbellyup105.jpg

The house is packed for this former American Idol. He’s in town for his starring role in the Grease musical which is currently in San Diego and will continue to hit the West Coast until the end of May.  Not only is Taylor making his way around the country with Grease but he’s also out promoting his newest release that will drop March 10th title The Distance. you may be hearing his newest single of The Distance called “What’s Right is Right.”

The audience is on the older side compared to most concerts that I attend. I would say it was also an even split of males and females. I was sitting next to a group of very vocal older women. I am talking these ladies were in their 60′s or 70′s. It appeared that there were generations of women there too. For example, mom, daughter, and grandma would be in packs in the audience. I would say Taylor Hicks would make a great family outing, but too bad this show was 21+. FYI: Taylor Hicks drink Budweiser.

I have a confession to make, I didn’t watch American Idol when Taylor was on it. I almost wish I did, but on the other hand, I have this clean perspective on him. He is a very talented performer, and he also has that natural ability to woo women in the audience. I know this because I was very taken with him. He also has an abundance of energy. He didn’t really stop moving which is probably due to the Grease musical training.

More of this review, photos, and tour dates after the jump…

taylorhicksbellyup109.jpg

taylorhicksbellyup117.jpgtaylorhicksbellyup119.jpgtaylorhicksbellyup115.jpg

I was happy that his set was all upbeat songs. He really had a good swing going with his set. He did appear to forget lyrics or missed the opportunity to sing the lyrics during the chorus of “Heaven Knows.” I could tell by the look on his face and he turned to his guitar player and smiled. He also seemed a bit off pitch during the George Harrison cover “My Sweet Lord.” Otherwise his performance was stellar and energetic.

Oh yes, since I am a bit of a Taylor Hicks newbie I was feeling a bit out of touch when people were yelling what I thought was “Snow Patrol” and for the life of me I couldn’t figure out why Taylor Hicks’ fans were yelling Snow Patrol. I am thinking, “Did Snow Patrol open for Taylor and I am missed it?” No, I felt like a fool because they were yelling “Soul Patrol” and now that I know that, it makes a heck of a lot more sense. I think I need my hearing checked.

taylorhicksbellyup110.jpgtaylorhicksbellyup111.jpgtaylorhicksbellyup112.jpg

The Set included: (not is order)
The Distance
What’s Right is Right
Soul Thing
Right Place
Compared to What
My Sweet Lord

Click on the Thumbnails to Enlarge the photo:

taylorhicksbellyup113.jpgtaylorhicksbellyup114.jpgtaylorhicksbellyup116.jpgtaylorhicksbellyup118.jpgtaylorhicksbellyup100.jpgtaylorhicksbellyup101.jpgtaylorhicksbellyup103.jpgtaylorhicksbellyup104.jpgtaylorhicksbellyup106.jpgtaylorhicksbellyup107.jpgtaylorhicksbellyup108.jpg

Tour Dates and Grease Performances:

Apr 23 2009 7:00P     The Keller Auditorium Portland, Oregon
Apr 24 2009 7:00P     The Keller Auditorium Portland, Oregon
Apr 25 2009 2:00P     The Keller Auditorium Portland, Oregon
Apr 25 2009 8:00P     The Keller Auditorium Portland, Oregon
Apr 26 2009 2:00P     The Keller Auditorium Portland, Oregon
Apr 26 2009 8:00P     The Keller Auditorium Portland, Oregon
Apr 28 2009 7:00P     The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
Apr 29 2009 7:00P     The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
Apr 30 2009 7:00P     The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
May 1 2009 7:00P        The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
May 2 2009 2:00P        The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
May 2 2009 8:00P        The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
May 3 2009 2:00P        The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
May 3 2009 8:00P        The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
May 5 2009 7:00P        The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
May 6 2009 7:00P        The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
May 7 2009 7:00P        The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
May 8 2009 7:00P        The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
May 9 2009 2:00P        The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
May 9 2009 8:00P        The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
May 10 2009 2:00P      The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
May 10 2009 8:00P      The Orange County Performing Arts Center Costa Mesa, California
May 12 2009 7:00P      5th Avenue Theatre Seattle, Washington
May 28 2009 7:00P     5th Avenue Theatre Seattle, Washington
May 29 2009 7:00P     5th Avenue Theatre Seattle, Washington
May 30 2009 2:00P     5th Avenue Theatre Seattle, Washington
May 30 2009 8:00P     5th Avenue Theatre Seattle, Washington
May 31 2009 2:00P     5th Avenue Theatre Seattle, Washington
May 31 2009 8:00P     5th Avenue Theatre Seattle, Washington

Comments

1. KathyO says:

Glad you enjoyed Taylor. He’s an awesome performer. I’ve seen him several times myself and he puts on a great show. Looking forward to an opportunity to see him live. I’ll have to settle for buying his CD on Tuesday.

2. Keri says:

I was there last night too at the Belly Up and I must say that was the absolute best show I’ve seen in a while! The man is ubber talented – a precision showman and a great, raw singer. The band was tight – the guitar player was especially awesome. I especially liked the cuts from the new album, The Distance. I will be picking that album up on Tuesday, March 10. I found out that there will be 3 bonus tracks on the album – one available at Target, one at Walmart and one on ITunes. Loved his new single, What’s Right Is Right! That was awesome

Again, we had a marvelous time will be on the lookout for Taylor Hicks when he marches into town again.

3. Katie says:

I’m glad that you enjoyed the show. I was there, and also happy about the male/female ratio. However, since there were tons of 20-30 year olds in the house,I don’t agree that the older predominated. On the other hand, he does do a music style of the era when 60′s were young. Also, Taylor moves because it is in him. He has to be almost sedentary in Grease. His voice tends to be on the raspy side anyway, but I think having flown to BY for a R&K show in the freezing cold then back to the heat of Tucson may have affected him. He is awesome and his guitar player, Josh Smith is too!

4. Katie says:

I’m glad that you enjoyed the show. I was there, and also happy about the male/female ratio. However, since there were tons of 20-30 year olds in the house,I don’t agree that the older predominated. On the other hand, he does do a music style of the era when 60′s were young. Also, Taylor moves because it is in him. He has to be almost sedentary in Grease. His voice tends to be on the raspy side anyway, but I think having flown to NY for a R&K show in the freezing cold then back to the heat of Tucson may have affected him. He is awesome and his guitar player, Josh Smith is too!

5. Bloom says:

There’s a quote used in reference to Taylor, Changing The World One Soul At A Time. As I read your review, what came to mind was Wooing the world one soul at a time. Taylor is an amazing artist and entertainer, seeing him live is like experiencing magic, it is impossible not to ‘feel’ good and you start looking for where you might catch him next.
    Thank you for the wonderful photos, would love to have been there!

6. Derry says:

Glad you got to enjoy him, he is somethin. But its not the Grease training that keeps him moving, thats just him. Hes always been that way.

7. Redrosespeedway says:

snow patrol! LOL!

8. Tami says:

That movement has nothing to do with Grease training, Taylor moves because he loves what he’s doing and can’t contain himself. I think you are very lucky to get to see him in an adult venue. One of the best things about a Taylor Hicks concert is to watch his interaction with his band members not to mention a performer who’s pretty much lost in his art.

9. Michelle says:

It’s so nice to see an awesome review by someone who wasn’t afraid to admit he IS talented. I’ve seen him in concert 2x and in Grease 1x and his persona on the stage(concert, that is) is ALOT different than what people expect. Many radio stations who play pop music are so afraid to play his stuff because they’re blinded by the AI vision of what he’s about I wish they could go see him on stage and see how awesome his concerts are. Great pics and awesome review….thanks for giving a TRUE review and not one blemished with insults. I wish I had been there

10. jonibug says:

Your photos are terrific. Taylor is amazing to experience live. I will be seeing him for the 9th and 10th time in Seattle in May and, believe me, I cannot wait!

11. Tish says:

Your photos are fabulous! I’ve seen Taylor in concert about 8 times and can’t wait till I get to go again. I’m glad you had a good time.

12. judyjs says:

Taylor is j

13. cath says:

Some good observations. Taylor has charisma , but he had that stage presence way before he landed the part in Grease. His ability to capture a stage and manipulate an audience is what makes his appeaance as the Teen Angel so special.

Thanks for the kind words.

14. kathy says:

You’re right about the generations of women at Taylor’s shows. He has that appeal for women that they either want to date, marry or mother him. LOL. Fantastic pictures by the way.

15. judyjs says:

Taylor is just Taylor..fabulous
    entertainer…..like mentioned previously his music makes you happy..lots of fun seeing him live.. can’t wait for the new CD on 3-10-09..the video and downloads out are fabulous..
    just Taylor for sure….
    will see him in Fort Worth in
    Sept….Thanks for posting these pictures and the post..

16. Felicia says:

SNOW PATROL!

Great article!

17. Judy says:

The show sounded fantastic. Thanks for the set list. I am anxiously awaiting his appearance in Seattle at the Trile Door. Wish I could have seen this one. Taylor always leaves you wanting MORE.!! He is “one of a kind.”

18. Judy says:

Oops.. I ment to say Triple Door.

19. Stacy says:

Good review. I was there and it was a very dynamic performance. One comment about the set list. He didn’t sing “Compared to What” or “The Right Place”. I wish he did, tho!

20. carole says:

Thank you for the great review of Taylor. I have only seen Taylor live once in Orlando.
    He is coming back to FL in November. I hope I can see him a few times while he is here.
    I loved the pictures too. Thanks again.

21. Annie says:

Another one has fallen under the spell of *The Woooo*! Once there, you will never want to leave. This was a great recap of the show. Man, I wish I was there- he seems to be better than he was when I first saw him 2 years ago yesterday… can you believe it was that long ago? His appeal is universal and his talent is extraordinary- thanks for a great write-up and fantastic shots! SNOW……er… I mean…SOUL PATROL!!!

22. rjcharris says:

Loved the review and the pics of Taylor are fantastic. I wish I could have been there.

23. Carolyn says:

Greg Lucker is an excellent photographer! Good shots every one! Does Greg have a separate web site?
    Taylor is a wildman on stage and a humble charmer off stage – an endearing combination. Glad you enjoyed the show! Thanks for the blog and the review.

24. Nancy says:

A friend came out from Arizona and we attended Taylor’s AWESOME performance at the Belly Up. It was so great to see a more diverse crowd…all ages…more couples… everyone watching Taylor get his groove on and witnessing his many talents. The infectious feeling of his “musical magic” of soul and whomp spreading through the venue. He was ON FIRE interacting with the band and all of the very lucky people who were in attendance…some for the very first time. I have personally seen him perform during his Idol season and a few concerts since and he just keeps on getting better and better, if that’s even possible. This was, by far, one of the best, if not THE BEST Taylorizing experiences EVER! You can’t help but smile and want to boogie while watching Taylor “do what he do”…simply a very blessed and amazing entertainer!!! Thank you Belly Up Tavern…but especially Taylor for an absolute BLAST of an evening!!!

25. Gypsee says:

Thanks so very much for sharing your experience and photos with us! What an incredible evening it must have been for you all and for those lucky enough to be there. Great memories for you and good stuff for the rest of us!

Thanks again….

26. Nancy says:

I have to add one more comment…Taylor does not forget lyrics! He has another great talent for adlibbing and tagging other songs while he’s singing a planned set list :)

27. Greg L. says:

As the photographer on this show, I want to thank you all for your kind words. Taylor put on an amazing show, entertaining all of us. To answer Carolyn’s question, yes, I have a seperate web site at http://www.therockimage.com

Thank you again!

Lucky

28. Txsoulgal says:

Thanks for your refreshing review of Taylor Hicks’ concert. I have had the pleasure of seeing him a number of times in concert and performing in Grease. Taylor is an incredible talent who gives his all during any concert or show. I am so happy Taylor is touring the Country with Grease so many may personally experience Taylor Hicks in that show and in one of his fabulous concerts.

Thanks too for your beautiful photography, Lucky.

29. Gr8fulheart says:

Sounds like everyone had a fabulous time. Then~how could they not! Taylor is one amazing performer & anyone who is fortunate enough to attend one of his performances, is truly blessed. Here’s to many more incredible experiences with an amazing artist; as well as man.♥

Trackbacks

1. [...] thought I should post the link to their site rather than just reposting all their pictures, so click here for their site and below are some [...]