Welcome to Chicago Kevin Rudolf

Kevin Rudolf House of Blues – Chicago, IL April 8, 2009

Kevin Rudolf House of BluesYou would think that an artist who has a major hit song (and another on the way) on Top 40 radio across the country would sell out a club like the House of Blues. Especially in Chicago – the third largest city in America. But to my surprise and that of everybody at the concert, Kevin Rudolf only drew enough fans to fill the venue half way. I was genuinely shocked at the turnout. For those of you who have no clue who Kevin Rudolf is, you already know his song “Let It Rock.” How could you have not heard it yet? “Let It Rock” features the omnipresent self-proclaimed “best rapper alive” Lil Wayne and is all over radio airwaves. Rudolf’s second single to be added to radio is “Welcome To The World” and features rapper Rick Ross. Both songs are extremely catchy with some of the most contagious hooks I’ve ever heard. Kevin Rudolf recently released his debut album In The City this past November 2008.

If you need to know anything about Kevin, know this: he is one HELL of a guitarist! Rudolf as performed as a session guitarist during the recordings of the lastest albums by the Black Eyed Peas, Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake, and many more. I wish Kevin would have performed every song on his album In The City at his House of Blues show last Wednesday in Chicago. He only played a 30-minute set! Rudolf could’ve easily been on stage for an hour if he had played all 12 tracks off his record plus a cover song or two. I love both “Let It Rock” and “Welcome To The World” and was looking forward to his show. However, I was deeply disappointed by how short his set was. I mean, half an hour?! What the heck is that? Hopefully the next time Kevin Rudolf comes through Chicago, he will make it worth the fans’ time by giving them a longer show. More photos of Mr. Rudolf after the jump…

Check out the following widget for more Kevin Rudolf:

Comments

1. Whitney says:

I was at this show, and it was the first shot that I’ve gone to this year, and let me just say, it wasn’t a great one to start off with. I had free tickets and still sort of regret going. I didn’t really know what to expect as I’ve only heard “Let It Rock”, and up until the weekend before, I had no idea who sang it. If I wrote everything I thought in here, it’d be super long, but I really think he needs to work on his image. He looked like a total d-bag. Other things he needs to work on: performance quality, especially the vocals. Interact more with the crowd. Not too exciting when you just stand behind your mic stand the whole night and don’t move around at all. Lose the hype guy. Brush or wash or cut your hair. seriously, dude. What was up with that rats nest? And lastly, if you’re gonna play a show, make it worthwhile. A less than 30 minute set from the headliner is completely ridiculous.

I want my money back, and I didn’t even pay to get in!

2. Anita says:

that really stinks his performance was so Short you would think with him getting bigger he would “put out more”!!! Its to bad i would have to see if he plays longer in the future so that i don’t spend to much for a show that is only 30 minutes!!!

3. Sarah says:

Wow, 30 minutes is really short for a headlining set! I was almost going to go to this show, I am a big fan of theAudition who were also playing that night, so I’m surprised that the venue was only half full though!

4. Jamie says:

this is not what I pictured him to look like at all!

5. Micaela says:

I saw Kevin Rudolf at Slims on the 13th in San Francisco. He was the biggest let down. I don’t even think he performed for thirty minutes…just four songs, of which Let It Rock was completely wrecked due to his bad timing and bad singing. He had no stage presence, looked like hell with his bad hair, sloppy appearance and surly attitude. I actually saw him roll his eyes when he was introduced as having the number one song Let It Rock…he turned away and rolled his eyes and kind of dissed the audience like he would rather be anywhere than there. The guy was NOTHING like his video, where he looked energetic, and like a performer. He was a mess. Never again…My vote? I think Kevin should stay in the studio, if he ever really did do work there…the guy is a clown.

6. marie says:

Even though it’s no good live performance,what a nice skill of making songs he has! and how awesome he sings in CD!! Wonderful producer! His voice is dressed very well.I love it!

7. cyn says:

I saw him in San Francisco too, his back-up guy said he had been ill. I’d love to know the whole story of this tour. I think his CD is really creative and passionate and I thought they did well on the miss USA thing. I mean I know this guy is great but maybe has issues with the whole business end of things. He is a hell of a guitarist I hope he does well.

8. Tracy says:

My overall impression of Kevin Rudolf is that he is very shy. Success comes with a lot of attention that he may not be comfortable with. What may be perceived as indifference may be nothing more than a case of nerves.