Everyone has always talked about the Pepsi commercial that went terribly wrong. Until today I have only seen the reenactment from the TV movie about the Jacksons. This footage is alarming, I had no idea it was so bad. It’s one thing to hear how bad he was burned but to see it for yourself is quite another!
Jackson suffered second and third degree burns to his face and scalp while shooting a Pepsi advertisement in front of thousands of fans at Los Angeles’ Shrine Auditorium. For the first time ever, you can watch it on US Magazine’s website.
The video shows the premature pyrotechnics explode on Jackson while his back was turned to the camera. The sparks quickly ignite Jackson’s hair. Jackson was unaware that he was on fire and continued to perform until he is tackled by stagehands who quickly help extinguish the flames. Once the flames are out Jackson emerges with obvious burns on his scalp. You can actually see bare flesh on the top of his head. Jackson was rushed to the hospital, but not before reassuring the audience of 3,000 that he was okay.
Was it this tragic day in our King of Pop’s life that ignited his painkiller and prescription drug addiction?